Friday, May 14, 2010

Shortbread Redux

I have no new recipes up my sleeve today. What can I say... excuses always sound lame, but it's been busy. More about that later.

Recently, I revisited one of my older recipes from March: Orange Coriander Shortbread. For Mother's Day, it seemed appropriate to send Mom something home-made from my own repertoire. To give it a personalized twist, I tried three flavor variations. Going clockwise from bottom left: (1) Lavender Orange, (2) Kaffir Lime Leaf and Lemongrass, and (3) Vanilla Poppy.

Not mentioned in the names is the grated lime rind that went into (2) -- Kaffir Lime Leaf Lime Rind Lemongrass sounded a little excessive. For (3), I scraped seeds from a vanilla pod rather than use vanilla extract. I like how the specks of vanilla blend right in with the poppy seeds.

The only thing I would do differently is to omit the lemongrass... as much as I adore its aromas, even finely ground lemongrass is too fibrous and clashes with the delicate texture of shortbread.

Happy belated Mother's Day to all you fabulous Moms out there!

No comments: