Sunday, April 18, 2010

Upscale Munchies

Poutine is a staple of this native Québécoise's diet. On a late night outing with friends or after a great concert, an attack of the munchies would have to be quelled by a cup of crispy fries and squeaky cheese curds bathed in thick gravy. The ubiquity of authentic poutine joints in Montreal -- like Lafleur's and La Belle Province -- made it easy to satisfy those cravings when I lived there. Toronto chefs can dish out some respectable interpretations of poutine, but I have to go a fair distance out of my way to get my hands on any of it.

Montreal chef Martin Picard has inspired me to give it a go right in my own kitchen. Picard is the chef/owner of Au Pied de Cochon -- a mecca for nose-to-tail meat lovers -- and host of The Food Network's The Wild Chef. I've had firsthand experience of the devastatingly good eats at Cochon, the most memorable of which featured foie gras. So it should come as no surprise that Picard has a recipe for Foie Gras Poutine.

Foie gras is not something one cooks with every day. It's a pricey indulgence that can't be found on the shelves of the neighborhood supermarket amongst packaged bologna and imitation crab meat. I bought my first fresh foie gras at A Taste of Quebec, allowing myself the splurge only because it was my bday. However, the price made me incredibly indecisive about what to do with it... that is until I found Picard's poutine recipe.

The seared foie gras tasted like bacon and had the texture of soft, buttery tuna belly inside. The foie gras sauce was tasty but not really necessary; I'm generally content with just a really savory, thick gravy. If only I could snack like this every time I get a case of the munchies...

No comments: